Texas Instruments Inc. introduces a digital power dual synchronous-buck driver with integrated power MOSFETs, protection blocks, and monitoring features, which helps save board space and reduce component count by as much as 80% compared to industry standards. The UCD7242 provides designers the flexibility of two independent 10-A rails or one 20-A rail in a small package.
The highly accurate on-die current sensing element eliminates the need for calibration or temperature compensation. The UCD7242’s input voltage range of 2.2 to 18 V supports a variety of applications, such as testing and instrumentation, telecommunications, merchant power supplies, and motherboards with multiple points of load.
TI’s easy-to-use Fusion Digital Power Designer Graphical User Interface (GUI) allows the designer to easily enable the UCD7242’s features when paired with a UCD9xxx controller. The free, downloadable tool simplifies the development process and speeds time-to-market by allowing the designer to configure all device parameters in minutes. To download the Fusion Digital Power Designer, click here.
Key features and benefits of the UCD7242 include:
· Matched drivers and MOSFETs are capable of driving either two outputs at 10 A each or one 20-A output, ranging from 2.2 to 18 V, and 300 kHz to 2 MHz, providing design flexibility.
· Saves space, component count, and design time by integrating high-side MOSFETs, low-side MOSFETs, drivers, current sensing circuitry, temperature sensing circuitry, and necessary protection functions into a small 6 x 6 mm QFN package.
· The UCD7242’s advanced monitoring, including accurate current monitoring outputs (+/-5%) and a temperature monitoring output, reduces part count, increases reliability, and speeds time to market.
· The accurate current limit (+/-3.3%), thermal shutdown, and separate flag per channel protect the power stage system.
· A dedicated control signal for switching off the low-side MOSFET of each channel makes the UCD7242 highly efficient, even under low load conditions.
For more information, contact Texas Instruments Inc., 12500 TI Blvd., Dallas, TX 75243. Phone: (972) 644-5580.