Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. announced that it is now shipping the MAX11166 and MAX11167, the industry's smallest bipolar ±5V, 16-bit analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). Available in a tiny 9mm2 package, the MAX11166 and MAX11167 are the only 12-pin 16-bit bipolar ADCs to integrate an internal reference with buffer, saving cost and at least 88% board space over competing solutions. These highly integrated ADCs feature Beyond-the-Rails™ technology, which supports ±5V input signal from a single positive 5V rail. This technology eliminates the need for negative power supplies and simplifies designs. At 19.5mW, 500ksps, and 1µA in shutdown mode, the ADCs are applicable for precision measurement data acquisition systems (DASs), industrial/process control, medical instrumentation, and automatic test equipment (ATE).
The MAX11166 and MAX11167 communicate using an SPI-compatible serial interface at 2.5V, 3V, 3.3V, or 5V logic levels and have sample rates of 500ksps and 250ksps, respectively. The serial interface can be used to daisy-chain multiple ADCs for multichannel simultaneous-sampling applications; it also provides a "busy" indicator option for simplified system synchronization and timing. Maxim's proprietary input-charge-pump architecture allows direct sampling of high-impedance sources, eliminating the need for external analog buffers to drive the ADC inputs in some applications.
· High integration: industry's smallest (9mm2) package, 16-bit ADCs with integrated reference with buffer and ±5V true bipolar measurement above and below ground using Beyond-the-Rails technology
· Excellent analog performance: 92.6dB SNR supports wide-dynamic-range applications with best-in-class linearity (typically ±0.5 LSB INL, ±0.2 LSB DNL) allows precise measurements at half the power of nearest competitors
· Ease of design: integrated precision voltage reference with reference buffer and high-impedance input saves power and space
· Availability, Temperature, and Pricing
· Available in a robust 12-pin package (3mm x 3mm TDFN), ±5V input, 250ksps and 500ksps options " Specified over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range
· Pricing starts at $16.07 (1000-up, FOB USA)
The 18-bit extended resolution versions of these parts are slated for introduction in the first half of 2013.