Texas Instruments Incorporated introduced its latest motor control solution - new highly integrated C2000™ Piccolo™ F2805x microcontrollers, motor control software, application-specific development tools and extensive support. These Piccolo microcontrollers are optimized for a variety of three-phase inverter motor control applications to enhance power efficiency and control performance of electric pumps, fans, traction drives, textile machines and more.
The new Piccolo F2805x microcontrollers pack a number of analog components on chip to increase system efficiency and decrease the number of discrete parts. Piccolo F2805x microcontrollers offer the intelligence and performance of the TMS320C28x™ digital signal processing (DSP) core with a C-programmable Control Law Accelerator (CLA) co-processor on-chip. The CLA is a 32-bit floating-point math accelerator, designed to work independently of the CPU core to offload time-sensitive control algorithms or DSP processing, freeing the CPU to handle motion profiles, system management, communications and safety checking, resulting in up to a 5x increase in performance for closed loop applications.
Features of the Piccolo F2805x microcontrollers:
- C28x CPU running at 60 MHz with C-programmable, 32-bit floating-point CLA co-processor running at 60 MHz
- Embedded memory for more storage, including up to 128 KB Flash and up to 20 KB SRAM.
- On-chip communication interfaces: SPI module, I2C bus, CAN 2.0 and 3 SCI/UART.
- Integrated analog to improve system efficiency
- 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) up to 2.3 MSPS for synchronous motor-phase readings - dual sample and hold.
- 14 enhanced pulse-width-modulation (PWM) channels with fault management, providing motor control for multiple motors, as well as power conversion.
- 7 windowed analog comparators with 10-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs) provide individual current feedback for each motor phase, integrated fault protection and accurate, on-time feedback.
- Dual, zero-pin oscillators increase system robustness by integrating the clock source on-chip and providing a second, backup oscillator for smooth recovery from clock failure conditions. - Voltage regulator decreases system complexity and costs, enabling a single voltage supply rail to power the microcontroller.
- Up to 4 programmable gain amplifiers (PGAs) act as variable resistors to adjust incoming feedback waveforms prior to ADC conversion, eliminating the costs and reducing board area.
- 32-bit enhanced input capture module (eCAP) and enhanced quadrature encoder pulse (eQEP) module for sensored motor control to accurately detect and capture position and speed of rotating motion systems.
Piccolo F2805x microcontrollers are available for order now starting at $3.25 USD per 1ku. A variety of C2000, motor control and Piccolo tools are available at different price points.
Part Number: C20000