AMS introduced its AS721x Autonomous Daylighting Manager, the industry's first integrated chip-scale Internet of Things (IoT)-connected smart lighting manager. This new class of sensor-integrated smart lighting manager solutions delivers cost-effective, IoT-connected integrated control capabilities to luminaire, light engine and replacement lamp manufacturers.
Photopic sensors built with nano-optic filters integrated into the AS721x series are designed to help lighting manufacturers address the growing challenges of energy-saving lighting mandates, including daylighting controls. These challenges are more cost-effectively met by bringing the controls and high-granularity sensing into the luminaires themselves.
The AS721x family is ams' first platform technology of integrated sensor solutions that provide system-level sensing and control capabilities, greatly reducing system costs and shortening time-to-market. The AS721x Autonomous Daylighting Manager senses the ambient daylight and enables the delivery of constant lux levels in the space by managing subtle adjustments as the amount of outside light varies. Integrating a sensor-based manager into each luminaire optimizes the overall responsiveness and efficiency of the lighting system, maximizing energy savings. The approach also delivers accurate lumen maintenance over time and temperature variations, and allows fully connected luminaire systems to respond to building- or space-level command and control strategies.
Competitive offerings in the space are essentially "build your own" devices requiring discrete components, including sensors, processors, memory, and I/O chips, that require design, integration and time-consuming programming of control and communications algorithms. In contrast, the AS721x family delivers a fully integrated solution, providing users with a high level of integration at far lower cost and complexity than using discrete components.
Additional attributes of the ams' AS721x Autonomous Daylighting Manager:
- 20-pin 2.1 x 2.3mm chip-scale and 4.5 x 4.7mm land grid array package options
- Photopic daylighting sensor for accurate ambient light sensing and control
- Integrates with industry standard 0-10v controls, driving 0-10v and multi-channel PWM outputs
- Standard serial UART (AS7211) for expansion to any standard networking or integrated IR remote control decoding (AS7210)
- Network-enabled architecture with a high-level, driverless smart lighting command set for IoT connectivity via Bluetooth 4.x (BLE) , ZigBee, WiFi, Ethernet/PoE or other networks
- I2C sensor expansion creating lighting-hosted sensor-bridge capabilities
Pricing for the AS721x Autonomous Daylighting Manager family is less than $3 in quantities of 5,000 pieces. Selected high-volume customers are testing sampled devices now, with production devices available in Q3 2015.