Littelfuse, Inc. introduced the SL1010A Series Gas Discharge Tube (GDT), a small-footprint, three-terminal, surface mount component that protects a broad range of communication equipment from damage due to fast-rising transients typically caused by lightning disturbances. The SL1010A Series GDT is rated to withstand lightning surge currents of 5kA at 8/20µs. Its low off-state capacitance of less than 1.5pF minimizes insertion loss and helps preserve signal integrity in data communication lines. Its low arc voltage (~10V) reduces thermal accumulation during long-term power faults.
At just five millimeters in diameter, the three-terminal SL1010A Series GDT is ideal for small form factor applications that require both high energy withstanding capability and a compact footprint. Applications include new telecommunication system designs with miniaturized components, last mile telecommunication equipment such as very fast DSL, industrial RS-485, Power over Ethernet, and home gateways.
The SL1010A Series GDT offers these key benefits:
- High energy withstanding in a small body makes the SL1010A Series ideal for small form factor applications with minimum footprint requirements.
- With less than 1.5pF of off-state capacitance, the SL1010A GDT ensures minimal insertion loss and helps preserve signal integrity.
- Low arc voltage avoids thermal accumulation due to high on-state voltages.
- Three-terminal design with symmetry for Tip/Ring/Gnd reduces the frequency of longitudinal to transverse mode conversions that occur during surge events
- A RoHS-compliant, lead-free design makes the SL1010A Series environmentally friendly
The SL1010A Series GDT is available in quantities of 900 in tape and reel packaging. Sample requests can be placed through authorized Littelfuse distributors worldwide.