Littelfuse, Inc. introduced the 487 Series Fuse, the first fast-acting fuse from its 5x20mm fuse family with both 420V AC and 420V DC ratings. In contrast with existing fuse solutions that cannot meet high-voltage and short-circuit test requirements, the 487 Series protects telecom power supply units and datacenter server power applications where a high-voltage DC interrupting rating is required. This compact ceramic body fuse is designed to ensure the best coordination between a power supply unit (PSU) and an electrical circuit breaker panel during short-circuit and over-current faults. The air circuit breaker trips before the fuse opens when the circuit is exposed to a short-circuit condition. When installed in a PSU, the 487 Series fuse opens faster than the circuit breaker in an electrical panel, removes the problematic PSU from the branch circuit, and keeps the branch circuit live without cutoff.
The 487 Series 420VAC characteristics make it well suited for high-energy applications like 3-phase power supplies, inverters, and ballasts. Its 420VDC characteristics make it an optimal choice for a high-voltage DC power grid in datacenters, telecom, and intelligent commercial buildings. The 487 Series Fuse offers these key benefits:
- Lower interrupting rating ( I2t) and faster tripping; this ensures the short-circuit and over-current fault in the PSU is protected because the 487 Series fuse in the electrical panel opens rather than the circuit breaker, which would cause an outage in the entire branch circuit.
- Current ratings as high as 16A in a 5x20mm footprint, which saves space on the printed circuit board.
- 420V AC rating makes the 487 Series suitable for high-power 3-phase applications, inverters, and ballasts.
- 420V DC rating makes the 487 Series an optimal choice for high-voltage DC applications in datacenter power distribution, telecom, and intelligent commercial building applications.
- The 487 Series Fuse is available in quantities of 1,000 (bulk packaging) in either cartridge or axial-leaded versions. Sample requests can be placed through authorized Littelfuse distributors worldwide.