Longtime power supply manufacturer, Lambda Electronics is celebrating its 60th year in business. The company, which is currently a member of the TDK Group, was founded in 1948 by Lester Dubin in Queens, New York, but moved to larger facilities in Melville, NY in 1962. It remained there on Long Island until corporate headquarters were relocated to San Diego in 1999.
According to the company, the original Lambda logo contains Lester Dubin’s initials via the Greek letters lambda (λ) located within the delta (Δ). Lester is described as an inventive engineer who patented many electronic devices that contributed to the company’s rapid growth. His early power products used vacuum tubes and large hand-wound transformers and inductors.
In 1966, Lambda Electronics started selling its products in Europe through Veeco Instruments, who had acquired it. Although Veeco was primarily in the semiconductor fabrication business, its Lambda power supply business grew to be the largest part of the company. In 1979, Lambda opened a factory and established an engineering and sales group in Karmiel, Israel to support its growing European sales.
In 1989, Veeco was sold to Unitech PLC, a British conglomerate. Other mergers followed until in 2005, The Lambda Power Division was acquired by its current owner TDK Corporation, a leading global electronics company. In late March of 2008, Lambda Americas became a wholly owned subsidiary of TDK Corporation and a proud member of the TDK Group.
‘Lambda Americas-Low Power Division’ is headquartered in San Diego, CA. This location also includes sales, marketing, warehouses, engineering, finance, HR, IT, operations and customer service departments. Additional offices are located in Hauppauge, NY, which includes sales and custom-products engineering personnel. In addition, the company has an international presence with key facilities in Japan, England, Germany, and other countries.