TÜVRheinland says it can assist manufacturers seeking this energy efficiency label approval program through the applicable testing SASO requirements and by preparing the necessary documentation for registration. The company also provides local support in Saudi Arabia through TÜV Rheinland Arabia – TURA.
Under the new regulations, each model of the above-mentioned appliances will have to be registered with SASO and labeled with an energy efficiency rating before sale in the Saudi Arabian market. This rating will be assigned based on the results of energy performance tests according to recently approved SASO standards. Appliances will be assigned a rating of one to six stars; the greater the number of stars, the higher the energy efficiency.
Specific standards in the Saudi Arabian market include the following:
· SASO 2663/2007 for energy labeling and minimum energy performance requirements for air conditioners;
· SASO/ISO 2681/2007 for testing and performance rating for non-ducted air conditioners and heat pumps;
· SASO/ISO 2682/2007 for testing and performance rating for ducted air conditioners and air-to-air heat pumps;
· SASO 2664/2007 for energy performance, capacity and labeling of household refrigerators, refrigerator-freezers and freezers;
· SASO 2692/2007 for energy labeling requirements of household washing machines;
· SASO 2683/2007 for methods of measuring the performance of household washing machines; and
· SASO 2693/2007 for performance requirements for household washing machines
According to information from the SASO, the registration and labeling requirements will become mandatory beginning April 2010. During the transition period, it is possible to get the approval for energy efficient labels on a voluntary basis. TÜVRheinland currently provides the handling service for the Energy Efficiency label approval with SASO.
TÜVRheinland delivers premier independent testing, assessment, and certification services to help companies gain access into global markets. Boasting an international network across six continents, the company’s in-country experts ease the path to compliance with cost-effective pricing and quick turnaround times. The $1.5 billion corporation is comprised of an international network of more than 13,300 employees in 61 countries and serves most industry sectors and markets worldwide. For more information, visit www.us.tuv.com.