The HVLED001 from STMicroelectronics is a new AC-DC controller specifically optimized for LED-lighting applications, where energy efficiency, reliability, and cost-competitiveness are key factors. Combining ST's 25+ years of leadership in power-conversion architectures with innovative high-voltage technology, the HVLED001 enables equipment manufacturers to design high-end, professional lighting applications for commercial areas, retail shops, offices, and outdoor spaces that offer best-in-class performance with minimum bill of materials and assembly costs.
Operating directly from the rectified mains, the HVLED001 uniquely integrates both high- and low-voltage circuitry on the same chip, eliminating the cost of external high-voltage circuitry. The high power factor (>0.9), low Total Harmonic Distortion (<10%), and high power-conversion efficiency (>90%) ensure compliance with the most stringent lighting standards in an efficient, compact, and cost-effective solution to drive LEDs in the power range from 20W up to 150W.
Key features of the HVLED001 include:
- Embedded 800V High-Voltage start-up, ensuring LED start-up in less than 0.5s, along with reduced BOM and increased robustness;
- Constant output-voltage primary-side control with ±2% accuracy ensuring a stable light experience across multiple LED-light sources;
- Embedded multiplier and THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) optimizer that provides fast response to line-voltage variations;
- Adjustable Frequency Foldback for improved efficiency and regulation under low load-dimming conditions;
- Comprehensive smart protections including input overvoltage, overcurrent, brownout and opto-coupler failure, all latch-free thanks to a smart auto-restart timer.