The continual introduction of new electronics-based features in cars, including various Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), has led to a proliferation of communications protocols that offer different combinations of speed, cost, and flexibility. Now, STMicroelectronics has introduced two new devices that combine superior protection of CAN (Controller Area Network) bus lines against electrostatic discharges and other transients and market-unique compliance with all key automotive interfaces.
The ESDCAN02-2BWY and ESDCAN03-2BWY are automotive-grade dual-line devices that leverage STMicroelectronics' experience in transient protection devices and the automotive market. The unique combination of parameters, including an ultra-low capacitance of 3.5pF and 24V minimum stand-off voltage, has produced CAN-protection devices to comply with all major interfaces, including CAN-FD, LIN, FlexRay, MOST, and SENT.
Key technical features of the new devices include:
- Low capacitance (3.5 pF, max), leading to a BOM reduction and design simplification for high bit-rates.
- An SOT323 package, smaller than all existing solutions, that helps minimize PCB area.
- The ESDCAN02-2BWY with 28V minimum VBR meets automotive reverse battery requirements.
- The ESDCAN03-2BWY's very low VCL of 35V max is the best clamping voltage on the market.
- Both devices are ISO10605-compliant, managing ESD surges up to the maximum ±30kV covered by the standard, ensuring robustness in the application.